Sunday, January 09, 2011

Sweet little scallops

I bought these seasonal little scallops that are only a quarter of the size of the regular ones that you can get year around - I was just drawn to them by the fact that they are naturally bite size and my natural curiosity to try all kinds of food.

Yesterday evening I was wondering what do I do with them? Too lazy to look up a recipe I remembered that I really liked the bacon wrapped scallops that I made for a brunch a few months ago. Wrapping all these little suckers seemed to be too much work and I was also not sure if I would not overcook them due to their size when trying to get the bacon really crisp.

Decided to instead make it a one pan dish - I loved the result and it won't be last time I make this dish:

For 1 person (generous portion = main meal size)
1/2 pound of small scallops (if you get the bigger ones I would cut them into bite size pieces)
1 slice of thick cut Pancetta cut into cubes
Red Pepper Flakes
Maple Syrup
Salt/Pepper
Oil (used neutral one but Olive would be OK as well)

Heat pan over medium-high with one tsp of oil, once at temperature saute pancetta just until it gets crisp, reduce temperature to medium and toss in scallops. season with 1-2 pinches of Red Pepper Flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes turning 2- 3 times. Take off heat and drizzle 1-2 tbsp of Maple Syrup over top.
Serve hot with a slice of fresh baguette.

Enjoy!

PS: It smelled so good that I digged in before taking pictures :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment